BENDIGO GREYHOUND RACING ASSOCIATION
Greyhound Racing commenced in Bendigo in the 1920′s when field coursing (Plumpton) was conducted in the centre of the Bendigo racecourse at Epsom. The coursing continued until 1954 when the blue ribbon classic “The Victorian Waterloo Cup” was run at Bendigo over a three day carnival. For the final coursing meeting held at Bendigo, over 30 bookmakers field the card.
Track racing first commenced at Canterbury Park, Eaglehawk, on the football ground in 1936 and was privately owned. Racing was known as “speed coursing” and was run over the 340 yard distance. People took to this new Saturday racing keenly with two special trams running nightly packed with at least 100 patrons travelling to the track from the fountain in the centre of the city.
The popularity of the new sport was indicated by the fact that twenty bookmakers operated straight and two bet the place.
Racing continued in Eaglehawk until 1978 when the Club moved to its present location at Lord’s Raceway in Junortoun.
In December 2008 the Bendigo Greyhound Racing Association celebrated its 30th Anniversary at Lord’s Raceway and the Club now embarks on a new era of racing at the venue.
In July 2007 the Club opened a brand new kennel block and administration building as the first stage of a complete venue overhaul.
In March 2012 the Bendigo Greyhound Racing Association opened a new chapter in its history when it unveiled a state of the art $4.2million redevelopment that includes a new race track and brand new facilities that sees a function room, bistro, bar, TAB facilities and amenities housed under the one roof.
The Club will conducts more than 100 race meetings per annum and provides Victoria with yet another first class racing facility.